CALOOCAN CITY, Jan. 28 (PIA) -- The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday said patients who have previously recovered from the coronavirus disease can still get COVID-19 vaccination.
"Kahit tayo ay nagkaroon na ng sakit dati ng COVID-19, tayo ay kailangan pa rin magpabakuna," DOH Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire said during the Laging Handa Public Briefing.
Vergeire said global health experts and the World Health Organization (WHO) have raised the possibility of recovered patients being reinfected by COVID-19, "so we advised them to receive the vaccines still."
Based on the National Immunization Program, the technical advisory group said coronavirus recoveries can have the vaccination "three months from the time they had acquired the COVID-19 disease."
Meanwhile, to ensure the widest coverage by its vaccination program, the DOH cited that they have created vaccine operation centers in all of its regional offices.
The health department added that they have downloaded readiness assessment tools for the local government units to assess the gaps in the immunization program early.
"Tayo ay nagkaroon na ng capacity building among the implementing units. We are also doing the master listing and have indicated minimum demographic fields na kailangan masagutan at maibigay sa ating detalye ng ating implementing units," Vergeire said.
We also have trainings conducted for the adverse effects following immunization, she added.
The DOH is currently doing townhall meetings and CODE team visits to various local government units with DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III, Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito Galvez, and other government agencies. The first to be visited by the CODE Team was Pasig City in Metro Manila, where the team said the city's immunization plan has been approved based on WHO and DOH standards.
The health department emphasized that these initiatives are being conducted to ensure implementation preparedness, especially when the vaccines arrive in the country. (PIA-NCR)